How to file a lost wages claim in your car accident case

Imagine for a moment there's a slow down on the highway. The driver that's been keeping busy texting on his way home fails to notice that traffic has come to a standstill and crashes into the rear of your car at a high rate of speed. Next thing you know, you're sitting at the hospital being told you have broken ribs. The doctor tells you that you're going to have to stay off work until you heal.

You might be an hourly employee without health insurance or a salaried one that doesn't have enough sick leave in the bank. You might be wondering how you're going pay your bills without income coming in.

If you lost out on making income because you suffered an injury in a car accident, then you may be eligible to file a lost wages claim. You'll need to either contact your own auto insurance company, that of the individual who hit you or file a lawsuit at the county courthouse to have them paid out to you.

Which one you choose depends on the severity of the injuries you suffered and who's seen as responsible for having caused the crash. Also important is what type policy both you and the other driver have.

If the driver who hit you is listed on the accident report as being responsible for having caused the crash, then you'll want to file a lost wages claim with his or her insurance company. However, if the person who hit you doesn't have insurance, you'll want to check to see if you took out uninsured motorist coverage when you purchased your policy.

Before you'll can recover your lost wages, you'll likely be required to complete an independent medical examination to assess how severe your injuries are. You doctor may also be asked how long he or she recommends you stay off work to heal.

You'll need to provide them with pay stubs or tax documents that clearly document your income and a letter from your employer verifying what your job title is, average work hours and rate of pay and number of days missed since your accident.

If you have questions about the process that's involved in filing a lost wages claim, then you may benefit from discussing your case with a Vista, California, car accident attorney.

Source: FindLaw, "Making a lost wages claim," accessed July 28, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Send us an email

Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Lead Counsel Rated | LC Best Car Accident Attorneys in San Diego

Our Office Locations

San Diego Office
707 Broadway
Suite 1700
San Diego, CA 92101

Toll Free: 800-941-1111
Phone: 619-431-3248
San Diego Law Office Map

Vista Office
777 West Vista Way
Suite 201
Vista, CA 92083

Phone: 619-431-3248
Vista Law Office Map

map map